Re: [SLUG] Slow connection

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 22:26:05 EDT

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Robert Foxworth wrote:

> There will always be some small amount of collisions, it is a part of
> Multiple Access (many stations contending for the same time slot on a
> shared ethernet bus) as in CSMA, with the CS meaning Carrier Sense to
> tell the hdware when the collisions occur.
>
> If you have a single machine on your private LAN, there should be few if
> any collisions.

There are several machines here, but it's not a busy LAN by any means.

> 109 collisions on that amount of data should be UN-noticeable.

OK, red herring then.

> I don't have any idea of why DHCP / DNS is included in this discussion.

I had hypothesized that the OP WASN'T using DHCP but had simply grabbed an
address, while some other machine was assigned the same address via DHCP.
That could certainly cause network weirdness. But, that didnn't happen.

> Where did DNS come into this discussion??

DNS also came up when the OP noticed that getting to a web page was slow,
but stuff on that page would load fast. That's consistent with the first
nameserver not responding, and having to wait for the DNS timeout every
time before the resolver rolls over to the second nameserver.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin