Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 02:31:15 EDT

Steve Szmidt wrote:

> How many here ONLY use or rely on Linux?
>
> I.e. you can have it but only use it strictly for amusement, and would be none
> the worse if it disappeared.

This is me, responding quite late to something that hit the list while I was out
of town and ignoring most of my email:

Aside from the fact that my clients tend to require Windows help and, thus, I'd
be out of a job without Windows:

I use Windows for more than just amusement, but I'd actually be happier I think
if Windows vanished and I was "forced" to switch entirely to other OSes (such as
Debian GNU/Linux). What I still use Windows for that isn't strictly related to
maintaining the computers of clients is stuff that can all easily (and more
conveniently, actually) be done on Linux, with the exception of two computer
games I actually don't play very often and could easily live without.

As an example of why I'm still using Windows, I check email on a Windows
machine, but that's because of circumstances surrounding the disposition of my
primary Linux workstation and the likelihood that I might have to give it up and
set up a separate box for my primary workstation at any moment, not because of
any preferences for Windows.

--
Chad Perrin (apotheon .com .net .org)
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/sig-block.html