Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 13:13:55 EDT

On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:54 am, Robert Snyder wrote:
> Just some general feelings on everything I just read.

Rob, a lot of people would agree with you, but your posting minimizes the
importance of open source software for the future of computing and focuses on
commercially provided consumer desktop apps, which also have their place.
Any platform that ignores the benefits of open source is a platform that
should be ignored unless you want to pay lots of money, now and moreso in the
future. Like we were talking at Logan's beer-fun bash, Apple's OSX Server is
chock full of a combination of both open source server software, plus some
commercial apps all integrated into one package. Open source keeps us from
repurchasing a reinvented wheel, and vendors provide support and integration
of/for open source components + niche market apps. -Eric J