Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 19:08:36 EDT

Steve Szmidt wrote:

>On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:54 am, Robert Snyder wrote:
>

>>Just some general feelings on everything I just read.
>>

>As I started the thread I'll give my response to it.
>

>>A. I dont think people who use linux should pressure people who use
>>linux and windows into into one OS aka Linux. Because that make
>>them no better than thosse MS zealots that force MS down your throat.
>>

>I agree with not using pressure. But, if somone presents dumb problems with
>windows I'll offer a better solution, if possible.
>
>Just to keep my question clear. I asked who uses only one. Not, you must not,
>cannot or should not.
>

>>B. Windows has it place in the world So does mac os classic ( 6.0 -
>>9.22) and OSX in all it many flavors panther jagular tiger. BeOS
>>even has a place in the world even though it is dead and I have not
>>found a productive use for it yet.
>>

>I think it's clear not anyone does it all better than any other. Windows
>belongs in a hacker world, used by those who don't care. Unfortunately it
>does not come with a surgen general warning.
>
>Some of us have gotten ourselves into a situation where there's no reason to
>use windows. So we are usually quite relieved and feeling for those who are
>not in control over what O/S they have to use.
>
>A sort of peace settles over you when you are out of the grasp of the Borg.
>Instead of looking back or sideways, I'm looking forward.
>

>>C. Instead of preaching how bill is trying to screw us over eith the
>>eula, how about spending time getting the companies that make the
>>software we use on windows make a linux port.
>>

>Here I partly disagree. MS is continously doing all they can to screw us. And
>even if they did stop they have created such huge ramifications that it would
>take a long time to clean up.
>
>I suggest stepping up the counter FUD - i.e. the truth. Let the world know
>there are better choices!
>
>Look, they just got nailed in UK for using misleading advertizing. Nah, they
>deserve all they get!
>
>Valid point not to only concentrate on the bad side, but also coming up with
>creative solutions. I'd like to think this is why we push OpenSource.
>
>As far as commercial products. Well, market forces will make them take the
>route(s) that it demands. So we just need to keep offering OpenSource and
>Linux solutions, and one day it will be a choice platform to develop on.

It gets back to one thing I notice is ther there are alot of geeks and
techies etc who use linux and who promote linux yet I have seen very few
business men go out and push linux. Linux needs to be pushed so it is
the choice of the developers to develop on. Really one of the few that
I seen trying to push linux out there and even though I hate his
rambilings in Micheals Minutes and his boo hooing about microsoft.
Micheal Robertson is out there pushing linux to companies. He pushed
it out to dell, now dell has released drivers suppolsley for there Axim
Handheld and there version of an iPod. But companies that sponser linux
have done things to push linux in the business market but not the
desktop market. HP does not produce drivers for alot of there soho
printers Some of them are right off the wall goofy. Not even suse
seems to be able to print correctly wit hthe one I was given. And
where is my IBM Via Voice for Linux..... Opensource is great but with
out the proper marketing it will take forever to gather support for
linux. Adobe does not see linux as viable. it took them forever to
accept windows was a via option. Personally I find that color manage
ment would have to come up about 10 notices before i could use
photoshop for producing printable grade material. Web stuff no problem
but The color calibration tools are there there for linux. it that kind
of stuff that needs to added to X to make it acceptable. I have 6
different color profiles for photoshop for windows. Depending on what I
am doing with the picture. Color is everything. But i have gotten off
my rant.

>>Here is a small list of applications I would love to see native linux
>>ports of or at the very least retooled ones with wine built in ( like
>>corel use to do with wordperfect before just dropping off the linux
>>scene.)
>>
>>Photoshop CS (i run 7 on slack with crossover but i gotten use to
>>some of the advanced features. )
>>
>>Macromedia Dreamweaver 2004 and future versions
>>
>>Access - This is a must have, I have not found another database
>>program like it. Yeah if i wanted i could just manually enter a
>>bunch of crap into <insert db program name> but I have yet to find
>>one that is on par with Access... Or at the very list have a
>>Filemaker pro port.
>>
>>Outlook this is not so much a must have as a like to have. I can
>>already hear the groaning. The fact of the matter that I no program I
>>have ever seen has had the polish of office. I know it awful to have
>>office xp installed on the linux side but i just dont like openoffice
>>/ staroffice it not even because it functionally. OO functions great
>>and can do everything the latest version of word can do. But it comes
>>down to the lack of polish. OO 3 office 10 on a scale of 1-10 how
>>polished a program to work. OO looks clutter and very office 95ish
>>with is just blahhh.
>>

>These are valid points in my mind. But I've stopped using the above and am
>happily suffering through the lack of polish as I don't want to have the side
>effects I get from using them.
>
>Outlook is a hackers best friend however nice and feature rich it is. So, no
>feature in the world is going to convince me to use it. But that's me. I'm
>not willing to end up looking in the mirror and call myself names because I
>ignored the truth.

There more security updates for Outlook Express ( the free limited
version) compared to Outlook 2003. I cant say it is perfect but again
we also have no basis how security would be as there is no native port.....

Personally I like the spit and polish more. And in the MS Dominated
world people dont ask you if you know OpenOffice !.

Which gets me to Bill Gates. I dont find bill to be a computer guru.
He talks about a lot of things but nothing that impresses me. What
impresses me about Bill Gates is his keen business mind. MS now
dominates for one reason alone Bill being a smarter business man than
any one of orginal PC clones companies or even Big Blue. I find alot
of why Bill rules today is because of stuff he has done when he was a
nobody.

Personally maybe if Steve Jobs was not so closed minded to IBM we all be
running OSX on our pc natively ..... Which is still a possibility but I
am not going there in this thread.