Re: [SLUG] SuSE Splash screen

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 09:19:53 EDT

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:29:31 -0400, Knowles Burrell <kburrell3@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do believe you can take the settings out of grub's config and it
> would stop working. You could also find a way to reconfigure it so
> that the image is behind the text. That way you get to see the text
> and a pretty image?
>
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:12:15 -0400, Christopher Hotchkiss
>

> <christopher.hotchkiss@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is a kernel option called bootsplash, I dont know if you need to
> > recompile the kernel to remove it though.
> >

> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:42:15 -0700, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It says something to the effect that hitting F2 will show you the messages
> > > but so far I have not been able to get it to do so either.
> > >
> > > Not, sure. I have used GRUB with RH and some others and not seen that
> > > action so I am really wondering if it is not the way the system is set up.
> > >
> > > I have not used LILO to do dual boot, I guess I could. Seems like all else works
> > > so well, that I just do not want to touch it. But that stupid splash screen and
> > > the terminal screen for that terminal once booted are (in my view) gross.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Chuck Hast
> > > To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> > > "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
> > > out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
> > > and twisted metal."

Those stupid splash screens are all over the place. It is Linux
repsonse to a windows centric world. Suse is a Desktop Linux hence it
going to try and appeal to Desktop users.... Mainly ones that use
Windows. When you boot Windows you dont see a bunch of text and crap
(unlessed it BSOD on startup) you see a nice spalsh screen.
Even RedHat with there Fedora Line has done this now. Personally I
think Fedora probably has the nicest one I seen yet.
But if you want to see all that boo ha ha text feel free to install
one of the following distros
Slackware
Debian
Gentoo
FreeBSD

Oh Yeah Evolution does work in 9.1 You just have to install it form
your cd or dvd media. usually it is in the Gnome package. You can
either install gnome or just find evoluion in yast and tell it to
autocheck depencies then it will install all the gnome libs required
for its function.