Re: [SLUG] SMB User Passwords Not working

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 16:03:48 EDT

> I changed the user to nobody and it worked.

good

> Thank you very much for the help.

you're very welcome!

> Any chance you know a good url for me to read the differences
> in english on security = ?

I certainly do :). it may wrap...
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ServerType.html#id2515125

also man smb.conf, under global share security. There's an online
version: http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html
If you do a find on "security (G)" it will be the second hit with
3.0.x versions.

Enjoy :)
~ Daniel

p.s. if you're not paranoid, security = share is fine. those
that are more paranoid usually avoid it, and it's really little
more work to upgrade to security = user. For small home use,
there is no need to go beyond user.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!