[SLUG] SMB User Passwords Not working

From: Knowles Burrell (kburrell3@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 11:22:46 EDT

I am trying to get Samba installed so that I can get the printer
shared from my lin box to my win box so my wife will stop getting mad
at me for not being able to print.

I have gone through and followed a how-to for setting Samba and Cups
up with Gentoo. Everything seems to be fine except for logging into
Samba or Printing remotely (what I set out to do.)

/usr/bin/testparm
outputs correctly with what I expect to see

When I try to do:
smbclient -L localhost the following happens:
useless cups # smbclient -L localhost
Unknown socket option TCP_NODELEAY
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

I have tried to change it to this command:
useless cups # smbclient -L localhost -U root
Unknown socket option TCP_NODELEAY
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

but as you see it comes out with the same output.

Also when I try and add the windows drivers with:
cupsaddsmb -H Useless -U root -h Useless -a
It asks for the password, after entering the password it simply
returns to the password request. The only way to get past it is to
press enter with out entering anything which causes it to error out.

I tried to install samba some months back and the same thing happened.
I am guessing its something I am doing but I am not sure what and I am
not real sure what info to give to get to the bottom of this. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Knowles