Re: [SLUG] Fedora Core 2 Install from HD Problem

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 08:26:13 EDT

> Background:
> I have a very old computer that is currently running Fedora
> Core 1. The computer is a 300mhz PII with 128megs of ram. It
> does not boot from either the 100mb scsi zip drive nor the scsi
> cd. Just the floppy and and 2 6gig hard drives.

Forgive the stupid question, but it could possibly save you lots
of time/trouble so I thought it is worth asking; are you sure you
can't just enable cdrom as a boot device in your bios? I recently
installed MEPIS from CD on a 200mhz Pentium Pro with the original
(1996? 1997?) BIOS. The CD-ROM device (which had long since died
and been replaced) wasn't enabled originally as a boot device, but
there was no problem enabling it.

But you've probably already checked that, in which case your first
reference looks like exactly what you need.

> How do I get Anaconda to give the option to do a TEXT install?
> You can see the TEXT install option in the syslinux.cfg file
> which I copied into the /boot/FC2install/pxeboot/ directory.
> Which also did not fix the problem.

>From the first reference, it sounds like he just looked in the
syslinux.cfg file to figure out what kernel parameters to use
when booting from grub. Did you edit the the kernel command
in grub to include whatever kernel parameter is appropriate for
whichever installation method you'd like?

~ Daniel

Get your name as your email address.