Re: [SLUG] Re: Fedora Core 2 Install from HD Problem -- Slackers

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 22:49:45 EDT

On Friday 03 September 2004 03:01 pm, Richard Smoot wrote:

................<snip all previous>....................

Hello Richard,

Not sure if this is OT but was part of this thread so I figured it would
be OK. My apologies if so.

> SUSE 9.1 Pro is a 2.6 kernal and on its DVD Boot folder included 3
> labeled boot disk
> files with instructions on how to make them from dos or Linux. It
> included 5 Module
> floppy files. I successfully booted from a backpack USB drive and
> loaded SUSE.
> I thought I might need the first module disk since that one include
> USB support,
> but it didn't ask for it.

Running 8.2, not 9.1, but I also made the boot floppy, reccue floppy,
and the 5 module disks. When the floppy boots it presents a menu.
Install, safe install, rescue, etc. No matter what option I choose it
asks me for module 1, the module containing usb and whatever else might
be on there. It never asks for any of the other modules. Then I get
the login, and after login I get the "rescue" prompt.

So far so good ? Maybe ??? Then I can cd into any main directory. I
cannot cd into any subdirectory, eg: /home/Bob, or /user/local,
or /var/log etc. etc. Get the message no such file or directory. If I
do an ls -l on the directory it doesn't show the subdirectories. Very
frustrating and unusable.

The rescue floppy does not boot by itself, so I expected that after
booting and choosing the rescue option it would ask for the rescue
disk. Never did.

Just wondering how far you went in testing the capabilities of your
alternate boot system and if so did you encounter any problems.

Bob S.