Re: [SLUG] Re: Fedora Core 2 Install from HD Problem -- Slackers

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 15:01:57 EDT

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 02:32, jeff wrote:
>

>>Nope, it at least would require an external cd drive,
>>like a Backpacker or similar.
>>

>Which will have the same CD boot issues, back to the original problem.
>

>>Looks like NFS
>>

>Which still requires you to boot somehow, back to the original problem.
>

>>or the "stick the drive in another machine" methods are all that would
>>have worked in that case.
>>

>The only, remaining option.
>

>>Slackware had a method that could get around that obstacle.
>>

>Red Hat Linux/Fedora Core had several prior to kernel 2.6 as well. The
>problem is the size of the 2.6 kernel.
>

>>You could install zipslack to a zip drive which gives a pretty minimal install.
>>

>The 90MB "minimal" Fedora Core 2 install, as well as the 75MB "rescue"
>image, is designed for Zips or other media, using UP2DATE, YUM or APT to
>fetch packages.
>
>The other Fedora Core 2 option is the 6MB "diskboot" image that is a FAT
>image (all 8.3 filenames) one can plop onto anything that can boot (Zip,
>USB, etc...). But gone is the floppy in Fedora Core 2 out of sheer
>kernel 2.6 size limitations. Most other distros have done the same (if
>they even offered a floppy boot in recent versions anyway).
>

>>From there you could copy that to an ext2 partition (or a FAT partition),
>>run setup from there and choose whatever else that you wished and
>>install by ftp.
>>

>In Fedora Core, once LOADLIN gets the kernel up, anything goes for the
>Anaconda installer. So I've used the 6MB "diskboot" to a HD several
>times now. Fedora Core 2 is now getting better, but the kernel 2.6 size
>is making it difficult to rotate a floppy into the equation.
>
>But I'll admit that Slack has a far better, legacy-friendly/
>low-footprint installer. And it's ability to install under DOS, with
>8.3 filenames for its installer, is unparalleled. I was a total Slacker
>from 1994-1996, but once I learned how to build RPMs, I became a Red Hat
>bigot.
>
>Today I prefer to deploy either Debian or Fedora-based distributions.
>But I still find the occassional use for Gentoo and Slackware.
>

>>I used to have a copy of bigslack (same thing with X installed also)
>>that I passed on to people that were interested in trying Linux. Since
>>it would install on a FAT partition, they didn't need to repartition
>>their drive just for a test drive of Linux. But the live cd's have
>>made that approach obsolete now.
>>

>Yeah, live CDs have made UMSFAT (was that the acronym?) pretty much
>obsolete. I remember using it with Yggdrasil GLX back in 1993.

SUSE 9.1 Pro is a 2.6 kernal and on its DVD Boot folder included 3
labeled boot disk
files with instructions on how to make them from dos or Linux. It
included 5 Module
floppy files. I successfully booted from a backpack USB drive and loaded
SUSE.
I thought I might need the first module disk since that one include USB
support,
but it didn't ask for it.

                                             Richard Smoot