[SLUG] Re: SOLVED: no prompt -- udev and pre-kernel 2.6 distros?

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 17:52:04 EDT

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 16:54, Eric Jahn wrote:
> I figured out why I was having problems with my usb device not persisting and
> my /dev/pts not autoloading to create x-term prompts: it's all udev's fault.
> For Debian with (kernel 2.6 at least) udev hoses a lot of things, because
> it's not mature yet. Turn it off and recreate your devices
> with /dev/MAKEDEV. All works well for me now.

Shot in the dark (please don't take offense) ...

I'm fairly certain that udev is in the stock RHCL4 (Fedora Core 2+)
series. These releases are built against kernel 2.6 explicitly,
including all required user-space support like for udev. I've had 0
issues -- sans maybe some USB timeouts being too short.

Even with Red Hat's backport of many 2.6 technologies to 2.4 kernels in
RHCL3 (Red Hat Linux 8, 9 and Fedora Core 1), they left a _lot_ of newer
features like udev out because of the lack of user-space support. As
such, I would have never attempted to install a 2.6 kernel atop of a CL3
release, because of the user-space support aspects.

As such, are you sure it's not because your running a Debian release
that lacks a lot of user-space support for kernel 2.6? I haven't kept
up with 3.0 (Sarge), but is it built around kernel 2.6? I assume 2.4
because Sarge predates any 2.6 kernel release, although 2.5 was around
(so I could be wrong).

You might have to move to something like Unstable (Sid). My apologies
on my lack of Debian knowledge as I've fallen behind after 2.2
(Potato). And I've only installed/configured Sarge-based Xandros
Desktop 2 with kernel 2.4 in my passing.

--
     Linux Enthusiasts call me anti-Linux.
   Windows Enthusisats call me anti-Microsoft.
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.         b.j.smith at ieee.org