Re: [SLUG] OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Knowles Burrell (kburrell3@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 07:25:29 EDT

>>No corporation with experienced admins allow autoupdate.

>I thought that was one of the big deals about Gentoo and Debian.

Are you saying they auto update without having any user interaction? I
have used both distro's and currently I am using Gentoo. Neither of
these autoupdate on there own. I have to force Gentoo to make updates
when I choose to update my packages and then I have to pick and choose
which ones I want to do or I can do them all. The whole issue with the
M$ change is it completely removes the ability to choose what goes on
your PC.

I think the best way they could do this is to leave the option in the
default it to on, because jim bob dumb user is to stupid to patch and
users who are smart enough to stay up on the patches but may not want
it auto installed can turn it off. They could hide the damn thing,
make it a registry edit to turn off, but removing the whole option is
not the answer.