Re: [SLUG] OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Steve Szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 12:11:54 EDT

On Thursday 09 September 2004 07:25 am, Knowles Burrell wrote:
> >>No corporation with experienced admins allow autoupdate.
> >
> >I thought that was one of the big deals about Gentoo and Debian.
>
> Are you saying they auto update without having any user interaction? I
> have used both distro's and currently I am using Gentoo. Neither of

Haha. No, the thread was about ms updates.

I decided to make fun of the all evil ms view, as it's exaggerated. They act
in a manner which one could easily call evil, but is simply an egotistical
and highly irresponsible way, for a market leader to be operating.

When I typed "evil overlords" I had a big smile on my face. The point of that
being that in email, you cannot readily tell what is the emotion of the
person who wrote it is. And in the very next sentence I backed down from the
evil description. Written communication can often be read in more than one
way, and to top it off, people often misread things.

Kind of like that silly ink blob test. Where you're asked to say what you see.
(And they don't mean ink either. Haha. : )

Back in the early windows vs Mac war there were some very heated discussions
on the the subject. To me, it was amazing how emotional people could get
about something like an operating system. It's just a dumb tool with zero
intelligence.

Of course a tool can be crappy and not at all perform as advertized and That
can become rather annoying, to say the least. So one can get upset with the
manufacturer. Especially when they are a court acknowledged monopoly.

The fact that they make more money than many countries, and still have a
crappy product with EULA's and policies that is only good for them... Well
let's just say that you don't exactly feel like supporting them in all the
selfish, nah - destructive ways of operating, which they pursue.

As far as Robert having the right to say what he wants. Well of course he
does! My comment was initiated by him saying "shut up" to Chris. It seemed
kinda out of place to be appearing such a staunch defender of windows and
their ways. Which a number of his emails looks like. I don't care if he is,
but being a SLUG list, anti ms posts are to be expected and not reasonably
silenced either.

- --
Steve

neither liberty nor safety."