Re: [SLUG] Linux noob

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 23:28:02 EDT

On Thursday 09 September 2004 06:16 pm, Bob Hodgen wrote:
> Hi:
> I'm new to the list.

Welcome Bob!

> I can't get it to talk to our printer which is
> connected to a windows box on our home network.

So your printer's set up as a network printer? Which version of KDE is on
Knoppix 3.6? I know KDE 3.2 and 3.2 should be able to guide you through
setting this up with a network printer wizard using CUPS as the printing
communication backend. Click on Control Panel
-->Peripherals-->Printers-->Add Printer and boing, the automagical printer
wizard setup starts. I've used this to quickly set up linux clients on my
windows network at work. I can print to any of the inkjets and laserjets and
it took seconds to set up. I have the best luck printing to Raw TCP (you'll
see that in the wizard) and avoiding the drivers, but try it and see what
works. Make sure you have cups installed and that the cups daemon is
running. If it is, you should be able to take your web browser and go to
http://localhost:631 and see another way to configure it without KDE.

> There are a few issues
> with sound not working in all applications.

Which apps?

> And it would be really cool
> if Linux could sync my Ipod.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/people/adonovan/hacks/ipod.html