[SLUG] Linux noob

From: Bob Hodgen (bob@roberthodgen.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 18:16:28 EDT

Hi:
I'm new to the list. This is a test post, and a bit of an intro.
Although I've been using Dos/Windoze in the home for about 20 years, I'm
new to Linux. Having lots of fun fooling around with it.
My Sony Vaio laptop is currently set up as a dual boot with Windows and
Knoppix 3.6. I've tried just about every distro of Linux I can get my
hands on but Knoppix is the only one that sees my laptop's built in
centrino wireless card.
Overall, I'm happy with Linux and I'm almost ready to switch for good.
Just a few problems. I can't get it to talk to our printer which is
connected to a windows box on our home network. There are a few issues
with sound not working in all applications. And it would be really cool
if Linux could sync my Ipod. Otherwise I can browse the web, chat, and
check E-Mails just fine. I'm pretty happy.
With the progress I've seen in Linux such a short time, I think
Microsoft is in big trouble. By the time Longhorn comes out Linux
should be light years ahead. Sell microsoft short!
Thanks,
Bob