Re: [SLUG] Re: pseudo block device piping to smb or nfs --

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 19:54:49 EDT

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 16:45, Levi Bard wrote:
> I'm using dvd+rw-tools with my dvd-r and dvd+r drives and media.
> Works fine for me. YMMV.

You mean you record linearly and directly to the character device?
Or is it using packet mode to write to the media?

There is a huge difference between how packet writing and recording
works. Packet writing is sector-pie (like a hard drive), recording is
one long track (like a record). Packet writing is for magneto-optical
(MO, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW _and_ DVD+R), recording is for press
(CD-ROM) and write-once read many (WORM, DVD-R).

Packet writing (MO) in record (WORM) emulation mode is not ideal.

Also note that DVD+R is actually MO, not WORM, hence why it's not as
compatible. There is a long history on Sony/Philip not being able to
gets its first few generations to do DVD-R. There are several lawsuits
over this, as well as their not releasing DVD+R for the first generation
despite pre-sale marketing.

-- Bryan

P.S. Can the DVD+RW-Tools drive Pioneer DVD-RW and Panasonic DVD-RAM
firmware drives? Or only Sony/Philips DVD+RW? The firmwares are quite
_different_. Jorg's drives DVD-RW and DVD-RAM firmware, with limited
DVD+RW firmware support for DVD+RW in the 2.01a series. DVD+RW-Tools
was written for DVD+RW, not DVD-RW or DVD-RAM firmware, unless that has
since changed? I.e., you _may_ be able to packet write to DVD-R, but
the drive still uses DVD+RW firmware.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community