Re: [SLUG] Re: pseudo block device piping to smb or nfs --

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 10:25:00 EDT

> You mean you record linearly and directly to the character device?
> Or is it using packet mode to write to the media?
I write an isofs directly to the block device.

> Packet writing is for magneto-optical
> (MO, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW _and_ DVD+R), recording is for press
> (CD-ROM) and write-once read many (WORM, DVD-R).
I've used dvd+rw, dvd+r, dvd-rw, dvd-r, and the results are visible to
dvd drives and hardware dvd players. The tools were originally
written for +r[w] only, but support was soon added for -r[w], and has
been there for a while.

> P.S. Can the DVD+RW-Tools drive Pioneer DVD-RW and Panasonic DVD-RAM
> firmware drives? Or only Sony/Philips DVD+RW? The firmwares are quite
> _different_. Jorg's drives DVD-RW and DVD-RAM firmware, with limited
> DVD+RW firmware support for DVD+RW in the 2.01a series. DVD+RW-Tools
> was written for DVD+RW, not DVD-RW or DVD-RAM firmware, unless that has
> since changed? I.e., you _may_ be able to packet write to DVD-R, but
> the drive still uses DVD+RW firmware.
I mainly use the NEC ND-2500A dvd+-rw combo drive - dunno which
different firmwares are supported. I don't have a DVD-RAM drive, and
am not really planning to get one, unless it comes in combination with
+-rw