Re: [SLUG] Re: pseudo block device piping to smb or nfs -- this is a joke, right?

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 10:25:28 EDT

When you refer to "MO," are you referring to Magneto-Optical?

I've never had the privilege of using MO drives, but from what I've heard,
they're impervious to UV light or magnetic fields. You need both laser light
and magnetics to create a write to the disk. Supposedly this made it a
fault-tolerant backup solution with a very high archival quality, which is
why some shops used it as opposed to tape.

In fact, my old roommate used to work for a company in the Orlando area (now
defunct) that made large cabinet-sized MO drive arrays. The embedded system
for the SCSI/network-attached chassis ran Linux.

/mario