[SLUG] Re: Do Geeks buy Happy Meals?

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 15:30:34 EDT

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 15:13, perthie wrote:
> has anyone tried contacting USF? (not that i have the feintest idea
> who to call) The real problem we're facing with the Tampa meetings is
> a "free" centrally located space large enough for everyone - data
> access isn't critical (though it would be nice).

If it's anything like any other state university, the BOR is really anal
on requiring students to formally charter the club, require X amount of
members be students (or former students), etc...

I gave up on UCF a long time ago. Luckily the research park is 4x
bigger (over 1,000 acres) with hundreds of tech companies. Whenever I
look into it, I get at least 3 companies that offer. But then the
"security" issues break down most of the offers.

Then there's the problem of the center of our membership. Most of our
membership doesn't like having an East Orlando meeting location (damn it
;-). Luckily DeVry and Valencia CC West have stepped up for us, and
aren't anal like the state universities.

I keep talking about taking advantage of the massive UCF Research Park
and opening an East Orlando meeting location, but I'm just lazy as of
late. I used to do so back in 1999-2001 when I was maintaining ELUG,
but I finally decided that a two LUGs** in a town was not ideal. LEAP
is all for having such but, again, I'm too lazy.

-- Bryan

**NOTE: LEAP was also designed to avoid the "cult of personality" that
can easily be built up around a LUG run by only one or two people. ELUG
was guilty of that with at least three people over its existence, myself
being one of the three such offenders.

--
Compatibility and update matrix of Red Hat(R) distributions:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.                         b.j.smith at ieee.org