[SLUG] Re: pseudo block device piping to smb or nfs -- MO = { CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, etc... }

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 15:39:06 EDT

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 15:10, Levi Bard wrote:
> Wtf, you just told me I was doing packet writing even though I said I
> was using iso9660.

Normally you "record" (DAO/TAO to character device) pre-mastered
filesystems (ISO9660, UDF) as a _whole_ (specifically, an ISO9660 Yellow
Book track).

When you "packet write" (typically TAO or another mechanism to block
device), you are modifying an _existing_ filesystem (UDF, Ext2, FAT,
whatever) in _real_time -- possibly partially. In fact, that's how
DVD+R actually "records" -- it's a "rewrite" (not a "record") because of
how DVD+RW works.

Now there is nothing stopping you from using any block mechanism to
"linearly rewrite" a pre-mastered filesystem. It just might not produce
as "clean" of a record as a true DAO/TAO to character device.

With DVD-R, you are using a physical WORM media. So this will minimize
issues.

With DVD-RW (-R emulation mode), DVD+RW and, to a lesser extent DVD+R,
you are forcing MO into acting like WORM. This is definitely less
compatible. Especially with how the laser is allowed to "backtrack."

There are literally a half dozen variables, resulting in thousands of
issues. I'm just telling you what is the most compatible.

--
Compatibility and update matrix of Red Hat(R) distributions:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.                         b.j.smith at ieee.org