RE: [SLUG] OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 16:16:13 EDT

>>What will you bet we see a Linux distro from the Great Satan in the next 5
years?
>>Yes, they will charge for it as do a number of others, but dammit, your
printer, sound card and modem will work.

Under SuSE, they already do...<grin>

I used to think of Novell and IBM and the greedy, controlling players.
Microsoft (at that time) was open and friendly. They gave their user
interface to OSF for use on Unix, and NT Server 3.5 was for _unlimited_
users. Sadly, that has all changed as the more profit-minded guys took
over.

I have no doubt you'll see a new and improved Linux from Microsoft,
featuring .NET, and Windows-look-alike GUI, ability to run MS apps (at least
.NET) and the ability to connect to NTLM shares. All for the low low price
of .... About the same as Windows....

I suspect the .NET framework and NTLM access will become the new MS-Tax that
can be applied to any OS, not just Windows. And it seems to make good
business sense to me - any MS.NET app will run on any OS with the proper
MS.NET framework installed. Why not let all the open-source guys develop
their next OS for them?

Ken Elliott