Re: [SLUG] RE: OT: M$ deals the final blow - effects of sp2?

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 13:18:04 EDT

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:57:16 -0400, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> Patrick Grantham wrote:
> > In short, will xp Sp2 foul up an xp machine talking to red hat samba server?
> > If so what are the work arounds?
>
> The answer to both questions depends on a number of things. The fact
> that it's RH shouldn't affect connectivity with Windows machines,
> running SP2 or otherwise, unless your particular iteration of RH
> (whether RHL, RHEL, or Fedora) has Samba-related problems of its own or
> uses the wrong version of Samba to be able to connect to a given version
> Windows OS version.
>
> Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't talking much about specifically what new
> "security features" they've included, but most of them seem to be very
> heavy-handed. Two very broad categories of alteration that are included
> with SP2 that they've mentioned explicitly involve "enhancements" to
> both personal (software) firewall and antivirus protections. I know
> from personal experience, involving recovering a hosed-up system at a
> client's office, that SP2 is also quite draconian in its enforcement of
> driver certification.
>
> To be specific: A client has a computer running Windows XP
> Professional. It uses a Serial ATA hard drive as its only internal
> storage media. There is no SATA controller on the motherboard, so an
> expansion card controller is installed in a PCI slot. Drivers for the
> card are necessary to make WinXP recognize the SATA controller and,
> thus, the drive. The drivers provided by the vendor are not SP2
> certified. Upon installation of SP2 by the client (against the advice
> of my employer), Windows XP identified the driver for the SATA
> controller as being uncertified, and uninstalled it. When the computer
> was next rebooted, it no longer worked because in the beginnings of the
> boot process it decided it couldn't read the hard drive and, thus, there
> must not be a hard drive.
>
> There are other problems with SP2 that might arise, including
> intentional breakage of some older versions of Samba connectivity, but I
> have yet to see SP2 break Samba connectivity in any clients' offices
> where a Linux server resides on the network. I suspect you're okay in
> that regard. I'd still recommend avoiding it like the plague, though.
> Breaking down the network could easily be the LEAST of your problems.
>
> As I think I've mentioned, I'm ensuring that I use no MS OSes from here
> on out that are newer than Win2k SP2.

Now I have yet to have any of those problems yet with sp2

I run alot of uncertified drivers for xp even ones that are not even
ment for xp. Did not have an issue with them yet.

Here is the list off the top of my head

Tekram Scsi pci card (attached to 2 18.9 gig IBM Ultrastar HH (half
height) drives) running windows 2k drivers as xp drivers were never
made.

promise raid card card running drivers for xp but are not certified
drivers no problem

Intel web cam... running un certfied drivers for 2k....

All this on 2 xp machines one xp pro sp2 the other xp home sp2 .....

Not saying what you said will not happen but on the some ms tech list
that i subscribe too i have yet to see a report about this type of
issue yet.

Only thing i seen so far is a guy complaing about adding new hardware
and having to run uncertifed drivers and he said it bugs him more than
it did before. like are you really really really sure you want to do
this.

But with windows you never know what it is going to do next.