Re: [SLUG] RE: OT: M$ deals the final blow - effects of sp2?

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 13:50:05 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:

> Now I have yet to have any of those problems yet with sp2
>
> I run alot of uncertified drivers for xp even ones that are not even
> ment for xp. Did not have an issue with them yet.
>
> Here is the list off the top of my head
>
> Tekram Scsi pci card (attached to 2 18.9 gig IBM Ultrastar HH (half
> height) drives) running windows 2k drivers as xp drivers were never
> made.
>
> promise raid card card running drivers for xp but are not certified
> drivers no problem
>
> Intel web cam... running un certfied drivers for 2k....
>
> All this on 2 xp machines one xp pro sp2 the other xp home sp2 .....
>
> Not saying what you said will not happen but on the some ms tech list
> that i subscribe too i have yet to see a report about this type of
> issue yet.
>
> Only thing i seen so far is a guy complaing about adding new hardware
> and having to run uncertifed drivers and he said it bugs him more than
> it did before. like are you really really really sure you want to do
> this.
>
> But with windows you never know what it is going to do next.

You might be able to avoid the problem if you have SP2 installed before
you install an uncertified driver, or maybe my client is just unlucky
enough to get exactly the wrong driver. Maybe SP2 treats different
types of uncertified drivers differently. Maybe this is an updated
version of SP2, since he installed it only a couple of days ago. All I
know is what happened. See my previous message for what happened.

I know of some people that think SP2 is the greatest thing since sliced
bread and haven't had problems with it on any of a dozen machines. I
know of some people that think SP2 is a tool of the devil and have had
maybe one or two machines out of a dozen come through intact after
installing SP2. Clearly, different system configurations cause the bugs
of SP2 to have different effects for on different computers.