Re: [SLUG] (now) File Systems

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 09:59:36 EDT

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 19:23, Russell Hires wrote:
> I gave up on xfs, I kept getting kernel oopses.

What distro? Kernel?

Understand that kernel 2.4 _requires_ a _massive_ set of patches to
support XFS. That's why XFS wasn't included in kernel 2.4, even though
it was quite mature back around when 2.4.2 was released.

The _only_ supported XFS release on kernel 2.4 was on Red Hat Linux
_and_ SGI's _official_ XFS release for it. If you ran another distro
with the 2.4 kernel, it was typically _incomplete_.

As one SGI developer said, Mandrake's support of XFS was almost a
disservice.

Now if you are running a kernel 2.6 distro, I'd be interested in hearing
of your issues. But for kernel 2.4, there was only 1 good
implementation.

> I know I should file bug reports, etc, but I always get tarred and
> feathered by people who complain that I don't do kernel bug reporting
> that well.

If you were running a kernel 2.4 distro, and it wasn't RHL+XFS, then it
would have been ignored.

> They tell me to do all these things, and I often feel that no one
> wants to work with me to find the problem. Maybe it's all in my
> head...

Kernel bug reports require a _lot_ of detail. And kernel 2.4 was
incapable of support XFS.

The cool thing about kernel 2.6 and XFS is that all of the subsystems
added by SGI for XFS in 2.5.3+ has benefited other filesystems as well.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community