[SLUG] Re: Laptops -- PC notebooks more proprietary than Apple now

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 10:09:53 EDT

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 09:08, SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
> Over the last there has been several threads concerning Linux and Laptops.
> In order to faciliate those that may have an interest is such nicities HP
> according to this article is beginning to ship HP laptops with either
> Mandrake or SuSE.
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5294914.html?tag=default

HP is shipping the _first_ laptop with _full_ Linux compatibility.
Other than having to choose 2 specific pieces of hardware (the
802.1A/B/G WLAN card and one other), it is 100% supported in SuSE Linux
9.1 (and probably other 2.6 distros). This includes standby and other
power management functions.

This is why I continue to think HP is the best "desktop partner" for
Linux.

All other OEMs, including IBM, outsource to the same 3-4 Tawainese
conglomerates. These conglomerates work with Microsoft to build a
"legacy-free" configuration that Microsoft can control. This is not
"conspiracy theory," it's just "good business." The idea isn't to
"screw over Linux," but to _force_ upgrades every 2 years or less.

It all goes to the "master plan" of "full distribution control" -- from
the OEM to the superstore. Make hardware and software only compatible
for 2 years or less, forcing upgrades. Between this, and the outrageous
cost of "accessories" for most PC notebooks from most PC OEMs, Apple is
actually cheaper and less proprietary these days -- especially when it
comes to software support and accessories.

Although the G4 is an old Motorola slouch, IBM's new PowerPC 970 is very
powerful _built_ for low-power -- less than 20W at 1.4GHz -- which
really _is_ equivalent to 2.5GHz P4. Most PC notebooks must "slow down"
to sub-1GHz to drop below 20W of power usage. Unfortunately, IBM-Apple
have taken forever to get the G5 PowerBooks out, for a variety of
reasons (existing stock, IBM's focus on blades/embedded, etc...).

The HP move pulled me back to considering a PC notebook. Unfortunately,
they need to release a product with more than just chipset-embedded
graphics. I want fully accelerated OpenGL. Apple provides that in
either an ATI or nVidia solution at a _very_competitive_ price-point.
It's hard to find a "cheap" PC notebook with good 3D.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community