Re: [SLUG] OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Steve Szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 09:40:10 EDT

On Saturday 11 September 2004 02:15 pm, perthie wrote:
> none of those state that microsoft will force users to install it whether
> they like it or not or that microsoft will administratively override that
> decision by installing it for them remotely.

I got it from security lists. There are people that love messing with windows
and then happily report the results. The findings on these lists are seldom,
or next to never, on mainstream media.

Unfortunatley I don't make too many notes about these things as I really don't
care all that much. I wrote off windows a long time ago.

> it sounds to me like theyre referring to whether the service pack is
> downloaded automatically while connected to the internet. i have a feeling
> the "blocking mechanism" is nothing more than a registry entry that
> instructs automatic update to skip sp2 (checking this now). if automatic
> updates are turned off, then this isnt an issue. it just never happens.

Nah, MS got tired of not getting into "their machines", and SP3 finally
installs a permanent backdoor. No setting you make will stop them from
gaining access. The only way to be sure of what happens is to have an
external firewall.