Re: [SLUG] Software for sale

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 10:09:30 EDT

James Marcinek wrote:
> Do you know how much a licensed copy of XP Pro costs? If you are trying to
> appease your wife you may just want to opt for just XP instead of the Pro...

If I had any interest in XP at all, I'd still have a pretty tough time
imagining why I'd ever want XP Home. It's basically XP Professional
with the balls cut off.

If you want XP Pro for about a hundred dollars cheaper, buy an upgrade
CD. You don't want to actually install it as an upgrade, mind you;
it'll do a full install, despite the name. You just have to have a CD
from an earlier version of Windows handy. At some point in the
installation, it asks for you to insert the earlier version CD for
verification purposes.

Of course, if I had an earlier Windows (other than ME), I'd just use
that instead. Even Win95 is preferable to the licensing nightmare of XP.