Re: [SLUG] OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 14:27:39 EDT

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:34:05 -0400, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> Levi Bard wrote:
> >>Make sure that the Windows machine doesn't get used as a zombie or Typhoid
> >>Mary to annoy or infect thousands of other people.
> >

> > I wouldn't worry about it too much. One more would be a drop in the
> > bucket at this point. Or maybe I should say a spit in the hurricane?
>
> I would worry about it, because I'd rather not be part of the problem.
> One more zombie box may not seem to make any difference in the grand
> scheme of things, but one more zombie box can make the difference for
> one individual person, and I'd rather not be responsible for that.

I know what you mean.... I got in a heated discussion with a guy on
DSLReports aka BroadbandReports.com Anyway it was about his dsl
modem, he lives in a Ex Bell Atlantic area of Verizon where the tampa
bay area is Ex-GTE... Well for EX BA customers Verizon is swaping out
older westell 2100 modems for the 2200 which has builit in firewall
and pppoe login.. As Ex BA areas happen to use PPPOE for there dsl
service where ExGTE is DHCP.

Anyway so he like i want to turn off the firewall my mcaffee firewall
is good enough... I politely told him I also use mcaffee firewall *
which is not all that great .... but i back it up with a firewall.
And that his problems with Bit torrent were as simple as setting up
port forwording and that I could show him how to do it. Or any other
season verizon customer could show him how to do it.
He gets all pissy and starts off with 4 letter curse words and how
mcaffee is good enough.... Told him that mcaffee while a layer of
protection was not great protection and script kiddie will still find
there way past it and could turn his machine into a zombie machine

He reply was he did not F'ing care .... But I seen this same fool
complain about verizon and spam protection of the email boxes.