Re: [SLUG] Re: OT: M$ deals the final blow -- Case Study: SQL Slammer at a Household Name

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 18:35:48 EDT

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 05:51 pm, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 12:19, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > Downloading patches from MS doesn't make your computer secure, and
> > downloading them without knowing what you're downloading doesn't even
> > make it MORE secure than it would otherwise be. In fact, in using
> > Windows, I have refused about as many patches as I've accepted. Real
> > security (or as close to it as you can get with Windows) involves
> > installing and using third-party solutions that cover over Microsoft's
> > more egregious flaws. I sympathize with the people that "don't want
> > Microsoft poking around" in their PCs. Their failing is not in the fact
> > that they refuse to trust Microsoft, but in the fact that they don't use
> > non-Microsoft security measures.
>
> Case Study: SQL Slammer at a Fortune 100 Company with a Household Name
>
> The problem is:
> 1. "Integration" continues to be a major security issue with Win32
> 2. "Stay current" with patches made the Fortune 100 _vunerable_
> 3. Microsoft is willing to "pass the buck" onto its own professionals

:-(
Ooh, don't be soo unfaiir to poor moneyslut, eh, microsloft! It's not THEIR
fault that we are soo dumb as to be using their O/S over an insecure network
like the Internet! Or any other LAN for that matter.

:-(
Microslut is only in the business of making MONEY! Not functioning software,
that's OUR problem! We should have known better before agreeing to the EULA!
OR using it to drive our vital business applications!

Before bitching over poor win, get an ATTORNEY to set yourself straight about
your legal situation. Then go away and let that poor and harassed company
make some money without all this noise from people, who are not even
SHAREHOLDERS!

$-]

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.