[SLUG] Re: OT: M$ deals the final blow -- you missed the entire point ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 19:07:58 EDT

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 18:35, steve szmidt wrote:
> Ooh, don't be soo unfaiir to poor moneyslut, eh, microsloft! It's not THEIR
> fault that we are soo dumb as to be using their O/S over an insecure network
> like the Internet! Or any other LAN for that matter.
> Microslut is only in the business of making MONEY! Not functioning software,
> that's OUR problem! We should have known better before agreeing to the EULA!
> OR using it to drive our vital business applications!

Actually, this _real_world_ scenario that _actually_happened_ is the #1
reason I maintain that Microsoft solutions should _never_ be deployed.
I was _not_ complaining about Microsoft. I was stating why I _never_
recommend or deploy the solutions myself.

I think my career has shown that I can repeatedly make a 100%
_technical_ case on why a specific MS or other Hostageware solution
should not be deployed, offering a Freedomware/Standardware in its
place. In fact, I do _not_ merely complain and say "we're stuck with
MS," I actually go out and recommend _specific_ solutions that are
better for the well-being of the client.

With that said, understand the systems affected at the aforementioned
Fortune 100 company were _not_ under my control. After disclosing the
information I found out about SQL Slammer, one person directly stated
that I probably saved people's asses. I may not use MS solutions, but I
have competent colleagues who do. And it was a lesson to them why they
do _not_ have a friend in Microsoft by deploying these solutions, so
they should show *0* loyalty.

I offer these stories as 1st-hand proof of what MS solutions buy
professionals ... a world of pain. I might have learned this a long
time ago, but I still see people who don't -- people who are my
colleagues.

> Before bitching over poor win, get an ATTORNEY to set yourself straight about
> your legal situation. Then go away and let that poor and harassed company
> make some money without all this noise from people, who are not even
> SHAREHOLDERS!

???

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community