[SLUG] screensaaver lockup

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 22:03:40 EDT

I recently changed my X server (XFree86 4.2.0) from 32 to 16 bpp to speed
up glxgears. Now, some part of Xlock (I think it's Mesa) hangs the entire
machine. The reason I think it's Mesa is that I have seen "Fire" stopped
once; waking it up restored normal operation. Just now, "Sproingies"
stopped, and while it was frozen the machine didn't accept new SSH
sessions or maintain existing ones. I've received a report of DHCP
hanging until the screen saver was killed (no mention as to which module
was showing). Screen savers don't normally crash on this machine. Those
modules run fine initially. Is this a known problem? What can I do about
it?

[eben@pc eben]$ xlock -version
XLock version xlockmore-5.12
[eben@pc eben]$ rpm -qa | grep -i mesa
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.2.0-72

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking