{SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Null modem and phone cord

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 16:23:20 EDT

I looked at doing this a number of years ago. The serial port, or
ethernet, schemes are easier.

Technically, it should be possible by merely plugging an ordinary phone
cable between the two modems. No crossover is needed (as is the case for
cross-connecting serial ports) since there are no Tx, Rx lines on the phone
line side of the modem. The big problem is that there are no signals to
simulate dial-tone, off-hook, and low freq AC ring, so the dial-out modem
doesn't see dial tone when it goes off-hook, and the receive modem never
sees a ring. On the other hand, the modem tones should get through just
fine. It would take some special software on both ends to make it work.

Don