Re: [SLUG] RE: Understanding Fedora -- WAS: Windows update

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 04:31:46 EDT

email on this subject:

It looks like the only thing you said, Bryan, that wasn't an agreement
with or emphasis on something I said was your clarification that
basically no free support has been removed by the guys at RH. Since I
don't follow RedHat's business dealings very closely (only keeping track
of it as yet another detail in the overall direction of Linux), I wasn't
sure what the state of affairs was in that regard. Thanks for the
clarification. I defer to your apparently much greater familiarity with
that subject than my own.

Further clarification about some things I said:

I don't like the RedHat/Fedora distributions of GNU/Linux much,
basically because of the way installation is handled (which also affects
the manner in with the OS performs once installed). Insofar as I am
familiar with them, however, I have zero problems with the way the
company does business.* I'd like to see more software companies sell
service instead of "products", the way RedHat and (especially) Progeny do.

While I'm at it, I don't like the Progeny Debian distro much either,
again because of the installation methodology (using anaconda, as do
RedHat distributions).

I think I'm done being pedantic and annoyingly long-winded now.

(* = other than issues that are fairly universal in the United States
pseudo-Keynesian mixed economy)