Re: [SLUG] Null modem and phone cord

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 14:21:44 EDT

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Robert Snyder wrote:

> Here is the issue we dont know what mac he is using.
>
> there are now 5 distinct genertions of mac
> 68k macs
> NuBus Power PC macs
> PCI Power Mac
> AGP Power Mac 2nd rev and later G4s
> now PCI-E Power mac G5
>
> Assuming he had a PCI power mac or newer he could then get a network
> card that uses the DEC/Intel 1024 chipset and it would work just fine.
>
> What he needs to find is some old mac PHONENET adpaters they would plug
> in the the serial then use phone cord and plug into a 2nd apater where i
> seend them in stanard PC 9 pin format. the phone net adapters handle
> the crossing of the signal use to b be the way to network macs with
> printers and other macs back in the day.

Why go through all that? A PPP connection is a lot easier and cheaper to
set up, and works on all Macs. It maybe be messier than LocalTalk, but
hey, this is a short-term solution and for files >1.4M, it's easier than
sneakernet. The odds are he already has modem cables (if not they are
cheap and widely available), so all that's needed are a null-modem adapter
and maybe a gender changer. A friendly local geek or two could probably
lend the parts if asked nicely.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.