Re: [SLUG] Null modem and phone cord

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 12:45:33 EDT

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:57:45 -0400, Pete S. <linux@myraandpete.net> wrote:

> Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> > Pete S. wrote:
> >
> >> I am guessing these PC's do have PCI slots? If they do... $4.00 NIC
> >> (including shipping) each http://store.mrtechus.com/viach10pcifa.html
> >>
> >> If laptops... PCMCIA NIC... $13 each (including S&H)
> >> http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/700
> >>
> >> Ok... ISA NIC? $9 each (including S&H)
> >> http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=NIC/3C509B-TPO-BK&txtMfgPartNo=&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=pw
> >>

> > Wholly cow, but that's cheap.
> >
> > Do you happen to know how universally these cards in particular are
> > supported by various Linux distributions?
> > This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
> > Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
> > posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> > official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.
> >
> Off hand, I am uncertain.
>
> The PCI NIC uses a VIA chip set (NWEN10PCI)... though I would not
> guarentee... the vendor states "...and a comprehensive set of software
> drivers for the most popular PC Network Operating Systems."
>
> The PC-card is a Compaq card Manufacturer's Part Number: Compaq
> 243653-001. I would probably check Compaq's website.

Here is the issue we dont know what mac he is using.

there are now 5 distinct genertions of mac
68k macs
NuBus Power PC macs
PCI Power Mac
AGP Power Mac 2nd rev and later G4s
now PCI-E Power mac G5

Assuming he had a PCI power mac or newer he could then get a network
card that uses the DEC/Intel 1024 chipset and it would work just fine.

What he needs to find is some old mac PHONENET adpaters they would
plug in the the serial then use phone cord and plug into a 2nd apater
where i seend them in stanard PC 9 pin format. the phone net
adapters handle the crossing of the signal use to b be the way to
network macs with printers and other macs back in the day.