Re: [SLUG] Null modem and phone cord

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 15:57:45 EDT

Chad Perrin wrote:

> Pete S. wrote:
>
>> I am guessing these PC's do have PCI slots? If they do... $4.00 NIC
>> (including shipping) each http://store.mrtechus.com/viach10pcifa.html
>>
>> If laptops... PCMCIA NIC... $13 each (including S&H)
>> http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/700
>>
>> Ok... ISA NIC? $9 each (including S&H)
>> http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=NIC/3C509B-TPO-BK&txtMfgPartNo=&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=pw
>>

> Wholly cow, but that's cheap.
>
> Do you happen to know how universally these cards in particular are
> supported by various Linux distributions?

Off hand, I am uncertain.

The PCI NIC uses a VIA chip set (NWEN10PCI)... though I would not
guarentee... the vendor states "...and a comprehensive set of software
drivers for the most popular PC Network Operating Systems."

The PC-card is a Compaq card Manufacturer's Part Number: Compaq
243653-001. I would probably check Compaq's website.