Re: [SLUG] AT&T Testing Linux as Windows Replacement

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 18:10:52 EDT

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 17:38, Steven Buehler wrote:
> They kinda sorta do. IBM's PCs as a general rule are among the easiest to
> install Linux on. I had Mandrake 10 installed on my new ThinkPad R51, and
> there was no post configuration tasks required. Everything ran flawlessly the
> first time except for the 802.11a/b/g adapter which Mandrake 10's kernel didn't
> precompile a driver for.

IBM dropped support for Linux on notebooks awhile back.

But they do still by notebooks with legacy BIOS, so there are less
issues than new "legacy free" ones. Unfortunately, they also have some
very non-compliant BIOSes (e.g., no Extended Int13h Services support,
which results in all sorts of dual-booting issues with more than just
Linux, but even multiple NT versions ;-).

I like what HP is doing. They are sticking with Tawainese and other
distributors who release their specifications so full Linux support can
be developed.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community