Re: [SLUG] Doom3 Linux Binaries released

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 01:49:32 EDT

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 01:16, steve szmidt wrote:
> I installed and ran it not as root as they suggested, but as a user. It asks
> for the install dir and I simply gave it one of my home dir. The links also
> pointed to the home dir. But I ended up entering the sub dir it creates and
> execute it from there.

All games seem to install and run fine as unprivileged users.
The only kicker is if you want them installed in a general area.

So I often install as a non-root user, but I chmod 1777 /usr/local/games
(ugo+rwx with sticky bit so only the owner can delete). That has always
done the trick for me.

Another option is to setup a dedicated "usrlocal" account that owns the
/usr/local tree, and install any such apps there as that user.

> When a game, which I download from the Internet, asks me for the root password
> I get very weary, and usually don't.

Which is always a good idea.

And although everyone went bonkers some 4+ years ago when Loki game up
with its embedded GTK+ in a bash script as "finally, a good installer
for Linux," I don't think they realize it is still a major security risk
to do such.

> Unless you're playing on a shared Linux box there's no need to install it
> under /usr/local/games as it suggest.

It's nice for when multiple users want to run the binary on the system.

But, again, either setting up and installing with a dedicated user with
ownership over the /usr/local tree or chmod 1777 /usr/local/games will
do the trick.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community