Re: [SLUG] KDE 3.3 under FC3 is really fast!

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 16:24:59 EDT

On Thursday 07 October 2004 02:39 pm, Eben King wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, steve szmidt wrote:
> > >
> > > 4MB? Seems kinda silly to put something small enough to fit on three
> > > floppies on a DVD. Or DYM 4GB?
> >
> > Who would ever use Gigabytes of data? You must be kidding!
>
> Hey, data expands to fill available space. A DVD holds 4.3*2^30B or
> so... you do the math.

I'm just kidding ... : )

My DVD player can write 8.5GB (when they release the discs for it, that is).
But I used to have my whole distro copied onto a drive and then just do any
installs from there.

FC3 comes with a DVD iso, which is easier to deal with too.

> Can't wait until we see multi-DVD distros... NOT.

Yes, multi DVD installs. But you know, as storage is getting cheaper and
cheaper the days of 30 floppy installs are not going to come back.

I think someone had already come up with an optical solution that handles 1TB.
IBM is making things smaller and smaller too. Their R&D has a working 1 cell
storage (in a lab) unit.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.