Re: [SLUG] Phone push button menu software

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 09:26:40 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:

>Looking for a solution for windows or linux for regular phone line or
>voip, where if someone calls they get the welcome to xzy company.
>Thing is that they will go through there menu and they will never get
>anyone just different voice recordings.
>
>or something that not even computer based at all. Anything that would
>suit this need would be great.
>
>the thing is that the system has to be multi level
>
>option 1
> subtion 2
> suboption of suboption
>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

Having worked for several small companies as the IT guy... I usually
ended up becoming the "phone guy" as well (guess it has to do something
with being plugged into electricity). Back in 99', there was a software
package in windows, that has some drag and drop voicemail features,
after hours features, etc... ran about $500 (though did not
include/required voice modems, PC/Server, etc.). "Call Center Pro".
Not sure if it is still on market. Last company, I inherited a
Panasonic PBX... good for about 25 to 50 users, with a command prompt
(annoying) interface (off of a floppy/serial connection). The company
had bought this for about $12,000 (I am guessing). They had about 70
employees, and the system was over burdened (and sometimes down). They
have yet to sell the old system... might want to offer them $1000 or
so. Since the phone system was part of their essential communications
(they are an insurance company), I convinced them to switch over to a
more reliable system, which cost about $75,000 (called Televantage).
Great system, with gui, etc. but may not be what you are interested in.

If considering VoIP, I would lean in the SIP direction, since this is an
industry trend.

I currently use "Vonage" as my backup phone for my cell (a home). I
highly recommend this for a small business to consider, though again,
this might not be the solution you are looking for.