Re: [SLUG] Galeon, may I have a dog, please?

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 10:39:15 EDT

> Hmm. Konqueror and Netscape were dogs on my system compared to Galeon.
> Galeon had a smaller footprint, according to a chart I saw in one of the
> Linux magazines many moons ago. I gave Galeon up when I kept being told
> that development had slowed and would eventually cease. Caveat: I don't
> run Gnome or KDE. I run XFCE, for what it's worth.

I think the gecko renderer is just a high-memory component - the
differences between the usages of the different gecko-based browsers
are in how much stuff they wrap around it. On my old 32m ram machine,
the only full-featured gui browser I could stand to use was Opera.
Firephoenixbirdfox was very much heavier, then the various
bare-bones-gecko-in-a-gtk-frame browsers (like skipstone), then
mozilla and galeon(which varied between heavier and lighter with each
version), and finally netscape7.

I didn't list Konqueror because I find it breaks on a lot of sites for me.

Actually a very fast gui browser that works well for most sites is
links2 http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/
Supports most javascript, and will even do gui html rendering in cli
via svgalib.