Re: [SLUG] Two quick unrelated Q's

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 12:45:02 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Bob Stia wrote:
>>Second question: Rather than continually switch from user to root I made
>>myself (who is really root) a member of the "root group" Is there some
>>unknown unforeseen security danger in this strategy?
>

> I don't know what "root group" does or is, but if it makes it possible for
> you to run processes without a root password that previously required a
> root password, then it does the same thing for buggy programs. Whereas
> before, they'd be stymied by the root pw and unable to execute their
> mischief, now they'd be able to do whatever.

Those of you more 'nix knowledgeable than I am, correct me if I'm wrong:
Giving your non-root user account the same privileges (or much the same,
at any rate) as the root user is a security risk for pretty much the
same reason using sudo is a security risk, but worse. It also pretty
much negates every reason for having a separate root account.