Re: [SLUG] Two quick unrelated Q's

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 11:30:30 EDT

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Bob Stia wrote:

> First quick question. Using SuSE 8.2. Have a dual boot W98 & Suse on
> different hard drives Used the partioner to delete 3 old partions from W98.
> /E, & /F. (hda) In their place I made an ext3 partition so I could back up
> from Linux to the other disk. (is now a partition on the other (W98 disk)
>
> Previous to that I had a partition on the second disk (hdb) which I had made
> vfat to make as a common ground for W98 and Linux files and/or backup for
> W98. This was called /windows/G. Now, since E & F were gone I changed the
> mount point for the G drive to E. This was designated in the partitioner and
> in my fstab file.
>
> However, when I try to mount /windows/E I get the message that /windows/G
> is not found in the fstab or mtab files.

Partitions got renumbered, and /etc/fstab is behind the times? "fdisk -l
/dev/hda" and compare it to /etc/fstab . I'm not sure of the current and
former state of your disks.

> Second question: Rather than continually switch from user to root I made
> myself (who is really root) a member of the "root group" Is there some
> unknown unforeseen security danger in this strategy?

I don't know what "root group" does or is, but if it makes it possible for
you to run processes without a root password that previously required a
root password, then it does the same thing for buggy programs. Whereas
before, they'd be stymied by the root pw and unable to execute their
mischief, now they'd be able to do whatever.

AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the
back of a speeding bus.  Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_