[SLUG] Two quick unrelated Q's

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 00:46:26 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

First quick question. Using SuSE 8.2. Have a dual boot W98 & Suse on
different hard drives Used the partioner to delete 3 old partions from W98.
/E, & /F. (hda) In their place I made an ext3 partition so I could back up
from Linux to the other disk. (is now a partition on the other (W98 disk)

Previous to that I had a partition on the second disk (hdb) which I had made
vfat to make as a common ground for W98 and Linux files and/or backup for
W98. This was called /windows/G. Now, since E & F were gone I changed the
mount point for the G drive to E. This was designated in the partitioner and
in my fstab file.

However, when I try to mount /windows/E I get the message that /windows/G
is not found in the fstab or mtab files. But it is no longer "G", it is now
"E". What have I missed here ??

Second question: Rather than continually switch from user to root I made
myself (who is really root) a member of the "root group" Is there some
unknown unforeseen security danger in this strategy?

Bob Stia

Hmmmm....Guess it should have been two separate requests/postings.
Oh well !!! Answer on either if it pleases you to do so.