[SLUG] RE: Need adapter for SUN SPARC monitor -- KVMs that do both PC_and_ SUN

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 20:17:55 EDT

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 19:57, Ken Elliott wrote:
> That makes it an "open" specification, but not an commonly accepted industry
> standard.

Agreed.

> BTW, do you mean that Sun _submits_ its specifications as IEEE
> standards? Sun can't publish IEEE standards - that's the job of the IEEE.
> <grin>

Ack, okay. I meant it submits many of its specifications for approval
as an IEEE standard.

> ??? That's quite a statement. While it's not exactly an open standard, I
> believe you'll agree that the IBM AT became an accepted industry standard.
> Ditto all Intel and non-Intel x86 chips. I look forward to your highly
> detailed reply, which I always enjoy reading (I'm not being sarcastic).

??? IA-64 Itanium is _quite_proprietary_.

Intel stopped licensing its ISA as of the Pentium Pro (i686), and
attempted to do so with the i486 as well.

Many Intel interfaces are not standards.
Heck, Microsoft produces more standards for the PC these days (although
it changes them every 2 years -- I call this part of the "superstore
profit model").

> Perhaps not, but certainly not "industry standard", which would be variable
> frequency monitors.

It's an "industry standard" for SPARC hardware.
Just like VGA 640x400/640x480 is for PC hardware.

> "proprietary" may be a poor choice, but I think we could agree on
> "non-mainstream".

It is very mainstream for SPARC hardware.
SPARC is not just Sun -- x86 is not just Intel.
x86 is just far more popular.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community