RE: [SLUG] Re: Need adapter for SUN SPARC monitor -- KVMs that do both PC_and_ SUN

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 19:57:24 EDT

>>Sun publishes its specifications as IEEE standards (even the SPARC).

That makes it an "open" specification, but not an commonly accepted industry
standard. BTW, do you mean that Sun _submits_ its specifications as IEEE
standards? Sun can't publish IEEE standards - that's the job of the IEEE.
<grin>

>>In fact, at this point, Sun is less proprietary than Intel [brand].

??? That's quite a statement. While it's not exactly an open standard, I
believe you'll agree that the IBM AT became an accepted industry standard.
Ditto all Intel and non-Intel x86 chips. I look forward to your highly
detailed reply, which I always enjoy reading (I'm not being sarcastic).

>>When it comes to monitors, you need "fixed frequency" for the console.
>>That's not proprietary. ;->

Perhaps not, but certainly not "industry standard", which would be variable
frequency monitors.

"proprietary" may be a poor choice, but I think we could agree on
"non-mainstream".

Ken Elliott