Re: requirement. RE: [SLUG] Open source Exchange server for linux. (wish I had time for doom3!)

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 09:44:41 EDT

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 08:58, Patrick Grantham wrote:
> Thanks for the input. Based on the responses, it seemed to be correctly
> inferred that the client wishes to be able to continue to outlook as the
> email client. As such, any solution needs to have a hook/pipe/connector for
> outlook.

Then you will pay for that. There is no free "connector" that provides
_full_ server-side storage _and_ scheduling.

At best, one of the "iCal[endar]" systems will let you publish free/busy
time (which uses standard FTP/HTTP) to/from Outlook. But it never seems
to work well for me (especially with certain versions of Outlook).

At this time I recommend OpenGroupware.ORG (OGo), because it gives you a
powerful storage and scheduling back-end that is completely open. It
provides Web, iCal, Palm and WebDAV access (with connectors for
WebDAV-to-native for Evolution, free, and Outlook, commercial). OGo
seems to do anything any other system can for collaboration, storage and
scheduling.

A lot of systems either don't have the same features (some are web-only,
limited iCal scheduling, etc...), or do, but the storage back-end is
proprietary (e.g., MAPI connector for Outlook is proprietary, or things
like Bynari use standard IMAP, but store in a format that is not so
open). You'll need to by Outlook Connector licenses from SKYRiX, but
it's worth it. Otherwise, you can use web-based access.

BTW, the GPL'ing of SuSE OpenXchange _lacks_ a lot of the commercial
version's capabilities. It's only the Java-based collaboration
component and that, by itself from what I've heard secondhand, is not as
good as OGo (especially when it comes to administration). Had Novell
GPL'd the entire product (including the LDAP/IMAP portions), that would
be different.

In fact, many sites run the commercial SuSE OpenXchange for the
LDAP/IMAP messenging component, and then OpenGroupware.ORG for the
Web/iCal/Palm/WebDAV collaboration, storage, scheduling component.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community