RE: [SLUG] RE: Need adapter for SUN SPARC monitor -- why should this be necessary?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 09:46:53 EDT

>>First off, you _can_ use those on a Sun system.

But didn't this thread start off by someone looking for a KVM switch,
complaining about Sun's use of different connectors?

>>Secondly, sounds like personal preference to me.

Of course. That was my point. I want freedom of choice, not to be locked
into what one vendor chooses to make available. And to be able to use
common KVM switches found at local stores.

>>You seemingly make the case that Sun does not offer equivalents.

As far as I know, Sun doesn't. Here's examples of what kind of input
devices I'm talking about:
http://www.fingerworks.com/
http://www.maltron.com/

>>Maybe you've heard of Looking Glass?

When I looked at it, it seems like "bling" to me. There's lots of 3D
interface work, and over 15 years, none of it has ever taken hold, because
none of it has ever proven to be anything but "cool demo-ware". I'm amused
by them calling it "true 3D" when it displays on a 2D device. Even the CAD
world has still been dragging in 2D to 3D conversion. It seems cool to flip
a window around to make notes, but when you use it, you hide the content.
So, you end up flipping the screen back-and-forth. A pop-up note window
works far better. Another case of looks cool, doesn't really work well, and
eats CPU cycles, while obsolescing older hardware. Great for Sun, bad for
users. Can't see what this has to do with the issue of special connectors
preventing the use a standard KVM switches, though.

>> poor assumptions (asusual from PC users)

Odd, that you assume I'm "just" a PC user - a poor assumption on _your_
part.

My point is that use of common connectors and interfaces is desirable, when
possible. That allows us for example, to buy a KVM switch from a local
store. You offer no case as to why Sun's choice is of any advantage. If
there is, please be so kind as to educate me.

Ken Elliott