Re: [SLUG] Partition Help

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 22:11:13 EDT

SOTL wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I have ascertained [I believe] that the issue I was referring to the
>other day with the bad HD that most probably the HD is working.
>
>Also, it appears that I have a partition issue particular in Windows.
>
>Since I am well acquainted with complete system installation doing that
>is not an issue except that I have NO guarantees that if I attempt such
>that I will not destroy current data so consequently I have no desire to
>continue repairs with out expert guidance.
>
>As I will be attending the Dunedian meeting Saturday I would highly
>appreciate what ever help is possible at that time in either making
>either the Windows side or the Linux or a recovery system operation to
>such an extent that I may recover the data.
>
>As far as recovery techniques are concerned the latest Tomsrtbt still
>will not run on this computer do to laical of appropriate drivers. Some
>other recovery distribution may well function but Tomsrtbt will
>definitely not work.
>
>Thanks
>
>Frank

Get another drive. Unplug the problem drive. Install the new drive as C.
Install your OS on it. Plug in the problem drive. If you are lucky you
can read
your data files on it and transfer them to the new drive. If that
doesn't work,
you will need Data Recovery software which starts at $70 to $100 dollars.
I found nothing really fully functional in freeware or shareware for
Windows.
Do not run scandisk. Those little files it makes are totally useless. It
makes the
data unrecoverable if your drive has been corrupted. I have actually
done Data
Recovery in a Windows system. Do not save anything to the old disk as
that can overwrite data you might want to save.
If you have a bootable cd for your Linux or a newer version of it, a
common option
is that if you start an install and it finds the old installation, it
will offer to boot it.

Richard Smoot