Re: [SLUG] Wireless broadband

From: Bob Hodgen (bob@roberthodgen.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 10:09:02 EDT

HI:

I use the Sprint PCS Merlin connection card. It works well with my
installation of Knoppix.

About three months ago I saw an ad in a Tiger Direct catalog for
unlimited data with sprint for $89 a month. This rate is only for
commercial accounts. I have a web based busness (ahem) and they let me
have an account. I think the wireless card was only about $ 29 with that
promotion. I brought the ad with me and it was a good thing as sprint
wasn't able to offer the deal to me without it.

I'm able to connect just about anywhere (sprint isn't too good away from
the metropilitan areas or major highways ymmv).

The speed is not as fast as broadband but much faster than dialup.

To get the card to work I start "KPPP" and connect.

You do have to "provision" the card on a windows machine before using it
under Linux.

I travel a lot and it saves me money because I don't have to pay $10 a
night to connect in some hotel room.

cheers,

Bob